Skip to main content

Weight restoration issues.

If anyone else is like me you magically assumed that once you finally hit the bare minimum 'safe' target BMI range you would maintain a body weight within 0.1 of the boundaries and still remain forever controlled and slim. Wrong.

You can't decide what your BMI is. Your body does that for you. The term set point is branded around a lot but it's true, we all have our individual set point at which our body will happily function at its optimum level.

In terms of body image, when you gain weight it really does hit you hard. I don't think it matters how long you have suffered, to what extent or the nature of your eating disorder - being told to gain weight is absolutely awful and a downright frightening prospect. Imagine how a healthy person would feel if they were told they needed to put weight on?! They'd be insulted and confused. To an individual with an overvaluation of weight, shape and control that issue is magnified tenfold.

Although physically you don't, mentally I felt every pound go on. It was hard. I cried, a lot. I also felt liberated at times, but you have to work at it. I had and still continue to have a few episodes where I cut up those stupidly small jeans, but then the next day it can be complete body image meltdown. The best way I can describe I feel about my body in the bad times is that I've been away from home and I'm renting somewhere short term, but I don't really feel quite right about it and I'd like to go back to where I think home is. But the fact of the matter is 'home' will kill you.
If body image is getting you down it's worth remembering that most people have an area of their body which they fixate on, and dislike and would change - but the average person without a history of ED also wouldn't use disordered behaviours to attain 'perfection'.

The values that influence our self worth should never be derived from the opinion we have on our physical appearance. If your boobs are smaller than someone else's does that mean your not as intelligent, funny or as kind as them? Of course it doesn't. Think about what traits you actually value in a person, not what you physically think is 'desireable'. Unfollow the stupid social media account of the girl posting workout videos and then drinking frothed egg white - unless you want the shits and fancy putting recovery at risk these are not the sort of role models or social influences you need right now. You will sit there, compare yourself to them and convince yourself your body is inherently flawed because you don't look like them.

The bottom line is we have a choice - to let anorexia rule your thoughts and hate your body, or to accept what your body is and celebrate what it can do for you when you give it a bit of love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weight gain - The Facts.

Easter is a bit like Christmas. A food feast; which can leave even people without an eating disorder sluggish, bloated and as though they've overindulged. But for those who struggle with an ED it can be absolute hell. Like many of you reading this I absolutely loathed any type of family gathering/holiday event. I can't remember the last time I enjoyed or even ate a roast dinner before Christmas 2016 (and even then I only had a small amount - definitely no carbs - and was completely consumed with guilt).  But the fact of the matter is, you, like anyone else including me will not put weight on overnight. That one single chocolate bar you ate (or two, whatever) will not cause any long term weight gain. Your body cleverly regulates your weight and this is important to remember if you're feeling like chucking the towel in because you've actually been FIGHTING your eating disorder.  • Short term weight changes are due to fluid balance. Weighing yourself everyday, or s

CLEARS THROAT.

So , introductions required as I have moved onto the world of blogger. For those who don't know know me, my name is Kate. I'm recovering from anorexia, and have suffered with my eating disorder for approximately 12 years. Cue the violins I bet you're thinking - well, there's absolutely no string instruments required actually. I kept this illness my secret for a long time, (oh isn't she thin! Isn't she HEALTHY! aren't you tiny.. *I became very good at shaking comments off nonchalantly*) and managed to wriggle my way out of telling my closest friends about the three emergency (there were multiple additional non emergency) admissions to hospital where my heart had been affected due to my body not coping due to anorexia. Not to mention the excuses for missing birthdays, fainting, being forever freezing, the 'allergies' so I couldn't eat certain things at work/in public etc  The lies, the concealing, the lot of it had to stop; it was either that o